West Virginia’s hospice care consumer satisfaction scores ranked 6th in the country last year. WV hospice providers have always worked to ensure that each patient and family receives excellent care. And, West Virginians should be proud of the quality of hospice care provided in their state.
NATIONAL HOSPICE SURVEY
In 2015, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) began a national implementation of the Hospice Survey.
The Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems The CAHPS Hospice Survey assesses the experiences of patients who died while receiving hospice care and their primary informal caregivers. The survey treats the patient and caregiver as a single unit of care. Its purpose is to:
- Provide a source of information on patient/caregiver experiences that can be publicly reported to beneficiaries and their family members to help them select a hospice program,
- Support hospices with their internal quality improvement efforts and external benchmarking with other facilities, and
- Provide the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) with information for monitoring the care provided by hospices.
WV CARING CAHPS SCORES 100% FOR SEPTEMBER 2019
Since the inception of the CAHPS Hospice Survey, WV Caring has consistently scored higher than the national ratings in most quality indicators. In September 2019, WV Caring ranked higher than the national scores in all quality indicators. In the Global Measure section, caregivers and families rated WV Caring at 100% and/or 10 out of 10, in both ‘rating of patient care from the hospice’ as well as 100% and/or 10/10 ‘would definitely recommend this hospice.
The importance of the CAHPS Hospice Survey is to provide a source of information on patient and caregiver experiences. The data is publicly reported to beneficiaries and family members to help select the right hospice program for loved ones.
The Hospice Survey accumulates information about the following patient experience details:
- Hospice team communication
- Getting timely care
- Treating family member with respect
- Providing emotional support
- Providing support for religious and spiritual beliefs
- Getting help for symptoms
- Information continuity
- Understanding the side effects of pain medication
- Getting hospice care training (home setting of care only)
- Overall rating of hospice care
- Willingness to recommend the hospice
For a complete list, please see the CAHPS Hospice Survey Fact Sheet.
CARE WHEN YOU NEED IT MOST | WV HOSPICE
WV Caring is dedicated to serving individuals and their families who are experiencing a life-limiting illness throughout their journey. The care is designed to ensure the right care is provided at the right time, designed individually for your needs. This includes a complete seamless program of care that includes management of pain and symptoms through physical, spiritual and psychological support.
The goal is to relieve the pain and symptoms, fear and loneliness with the focus of viewing the family as a whole unit of care. It’s about providing the highest quality care in the region so patients and families can embrace life for the time remaining. In addition to serving more generations since 1983, WV Caring serves twelve counties in North Central West Virginia and is one of the few not for profit, stand-alone advanced illness care providers. WV Caring cares provides outreach, education and expertise in grief support to the entire community.
We are ready to help you. Give us a call at 866-656-9790.